Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
About the USA

Ready Reference

2012 Olympic flag logo

Updated 04 December 2914


Visiting the United States has this information:

  • Do I need a tourist visa?
  • Where can I obtain tourist information?
  • Where can I find information about the National Parks of the U.S.?
  • Will my British driver's license be adequate for renting a car?
  • How can I get a disabled parking permit for my car?
  • How old do I need to be to buy an alcoholic drink or gamble in the U.S.?
  • What's the weather like where I'm going?
  • How can I obtain tickets to tour the White House?
  • What products will Customs and Border Protection permit me to bring into the U.S.?
  • How many British tourists visited the U.S. last year?
  • What is the DHS Secure Flight program?
  • What is the DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP) ?


U.S. Government

State Facts

  • How many states are there?
  • What is Washington D.C. if it isn't a state?
  • What is Puerto Rico if it isn't a state?
  • Plus links to state government web sites and other sources

Postal Information

  • How should I address a letter to the U.S.?
    What are the postal abbreviations for each of the fifty states?
  • How can I find out the zip code of an address in the U.S.?
  • What are the current postal rates in the U.S.?

Embassies and consulates

  • How can I obtain a list of addresses for all U.S. embassies and consulates?
  • How can I obtain a list of addresses for foreign country embassies and consulates in the U.S.?

Statistics on the U.S.

  • What is the current population of the U.S.?
  • I need a basic set of statistics about the U.S. covering population, economics and so on?
  • I want to know the population of a particular town?
  • Where will I find the very latest statistics on the economy, employment, prices, transportation, crime, population, education and health?

U.S. Publications

  • How can I obtain books published in America?
  • Where can I see American newspapers and magazines. Can I buy American newspapers in the U.K.?
  • I need a document published by the U.S. Federal government. What is the U.S. equivalent of Her Majesty's Stationery Office?   Answer: the U.S. Government Printing Office (USGPO).

American Studies

The American Embassy in London


  • The Information Resource Center provides quick reference and research assistance every workday morning.

    Quick reference assistance is available from the Information Resource Center between 10.00 a.m. and 12 noon, Monday to Friday, on 020-7894-0925.

    Further research services are provided to U.K. media, government departments and academics.

    This site is produced and maintained by the Public Affairs Section, American Embassy, London. Links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.

IIP Publications eBooks

  • IIP Publications are now available as eBooks for a variety of e-readers. The IIP Digital eBooks page offers free downloads of books and e-Journals in all common file formats suitable for iPads, Kindles, Kobo, Nook and others.