Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Documents Required for the Interview

Required Documents for Obtaining an Immigrant Visa to Reside in the United States

Please collect the documents listed below.  It might be helpful to download this page and place a checkmark beside each item you have obtained.  Where instructed, please click on the link for additional information.   All applicable documents are required on the day of the interview.  So please be sure to read all of the information.

Applications processed by the Embassy in London - You are required to obtain the original documents or certified copies, and one photocopy (with the exception of your passport and photographs) for yourself and each family member applying for a visa. All documents are required even if they were previously submitted to the USCIS with your petition.  From January 22, 2013, the Immigrant Visa Unit will begin charging $1.00 per item if they are required to photocopy original documents.  Therefore, please ensure that you bring photocopies of all of the original documents with the exeption of your passport and photographs.  

Applications processed by the National Visa Center In New HampshireIf your sent NVC your documents, they will have been forwarded to the Immigrant Visa Unit together with your application.  All that you will be required to furnish on the day of the interview is your passport and three color photographs.  However, please review the Document Checklist before attending the interview.  If any of the documents were not sent to the National Visa Center, you will be required to obtain them and present them on the day of the interview.

 Document Checklist

PassportA Passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least eight months validity beyond the issuance date of the visa. Children may be included on a parent's passport, but if over the age of 16, they must have their photographs attached to the passport.

Birth Certificate: Obtain the original, or certified copy, of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you.  If the children are deceased, so state giving year of death). Note:  We will not accept the short form version of a UK birth certificate.  The certificate must list both parents' names.  Please follow this link for further information. 

Adoption Certificate: If applicable, obtain the original or a certified copy of your adoption certificate.  Please follow this link for further information

Name Change Deed Poll: If applicable, deed poll or other legal evidence showing your change of name (except by marriage)

Marriage CertificatesMarried applicants must obtain an original marriage certificate, or a certified copy, bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.  A certificate is required for all marriages, including those that were dissolved.  

Divorce Decree or Death Certificate:  Applicants who have previously been married should be prepared to submit evidence of the termination of the marriage (i.e. divorce decree or death certificate).  Original documents or certified copies are acceptable. 

Police Certificates:  Required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16.  Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.  Please follow this link for further information.

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom:  A visa applicant who has resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, is required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).  Please follow this link for further information.

Court and Prison RecordsPersons who have been convicted of a crime must obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record, regardless of the fact that he or she may have subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency.  Please follow this link for further information.

Military Records:  Persons who have served in the military forces of any country must obtain one copy of their military record. Note: On the day of the visa interview you will be required to furnish either your discharge papers or evidence of terminal leave from the forces.

Note: Military records from certain countries are unavailable. For further information, please contact the Immigrant Visa Unit.

Photographs:  Three color photographs which meet Department of State specifications. These photographs must be full-face and taken within the last six (6) months.  Note: Of the three photographs, two (2) are required for the visa and one (1) for your medical examination. 

Evidence of Support (Affidavit of Support): All applicants are requried to establish that s/he will not become a public charge in the United States.  Please note that this evidence must be less than one (1) year old when presented at the visa interview.  Please follow this link for more information.  

Translations:  All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that state that the translation is accurate.  Only one copy is needed. Note: Applicants are also required to submit the original document, in the original language. 

Visa Fees:  Immediate relative visa applicants whose case is being processed by the Immigrant Visa Unit at this Embassy will be required to pay the fees to the Embassy cashier on the day of the interview.  K visa applicants are required to pay the fee before their appointment, then bring the MRV fee receipt with them to the interview.  Click on "Visa Fees" for further information.  

Important Notice

  • Your visa will not be issued at the time of the visa interview if any item is missing.  Lacking required documents will delay visa processing.


  • Thread

    All civil documents furnished must be issued by a public authority. Those originating from the United States must have been obtained from either a State Vital Statistics Office or a city, county, or other local office.

    Certified copies of British documents are obtainable from either the Certificate Services Section, General Register Office, PO Box 2, Southport, PR8 2JD; phone number: 0300 123 1837 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. Saturday 9am to 4pm). Calls are charged at the cost of a local call.

What NOT to forget for your Immigrant Visa

  • Video explaining what NOT to forget for your Immigrant Visa Attending an Immigrant Visa interview at the U.S. Embassy? This video highlights the documentation that is required when you come for your first appointment. Click here to view the video