Federal Benefits / Social Security
You may contact us in a variety of ways but the most efficient way is by using our online form.
Frequently Asked Questions
- For general enquiries see: Contacting the London Federal Benefits Unit
- Social Security Numbers (SSN)
- Reporting a Change of Address
- Reporting a Death (Certification of Death of a Social Security Beneficiary)
- Starting or Changing a Direct Deposit
- Filing for Benefits or Medicare (Certification of Request for Benefits or Medicare)
- Services provided by the London Federal Benefits Unit
- Social Security Benefit Statements
- Foreign Enforcement Questionnaire (Forms SSA-7161 or SSA-7162)
For a list of websites please see the the feature box on the right.
ATM Cards Blocked
Direct Express – cards are being blocked for international ATM withdrawals
Direct Express is currently blocking ATM withdrawals in countries outside the United States and its territories. This will impact the ability of some international cardholders to withdraw cash. Cardholders should call Direct Express Customer Service (1-888-741-1115, or 1-765-778-6290 for international collect calls) for further information and to get re-authenticated and "whitelisted."
In the meantime, cardholders can continue to use their card to make purchases and receive cash back at the time of purchase. Cardholders can also continue to obtain teller withdrawals over-the-counter at MasterCard member institutions.
SSA is unable to intervene in the decision by Comerica Bank, who operate Direct Express, to block ATM withdrawals outside the U.S.
(correct as of 10 April 2013)