Federal Benefits / Social Security
You may contact us in a variety of ways but the most efficient way is by using our online form.
The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) provides services for six federal benefits programs outside the U.S. The largest program is the Social Security Administration. The FBU provides assistance to over 44,000 beneficiaries throughout the UK, Belgium, Luxembourg, and 16 countries in Africa.
The Federal Benefits Unit is unable to answer inquiries related to visas, passports or other non-federal benefit issues. Please see the Embassy Sections page for assistance in contacting the correct department.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Services provided by the London Federal Benefits Unit
- For general enquiries see: Contacting the London Federal Benefits Unit
- Social Security Numbers (SSN)
- Reporting a Change of Address
- Reporting a Death (Certification of Death of a Social Security Beneficiary)
- Starting or Changing a Direct Deposit
- Filing for Benefits or Medicare (Certification of Request for Benefits or Medicare)
- Social Security Benefit Statements
- Foreign Enforcement Questionnaire (Forms SSA-7161 or SSA-7162)
For a list of websites please see the the feature box on the right.