How To Apply for Your First U.S. Passport
How to Apply for Your First U.S. Passport
You are required to apply for a first U.S. passport in person through a pre-arranged appointment.
You will need to bring the following:
of U.S. Citizenship
Such as a U.S. Birth Certificate, a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a U.S. Certification of Birth, a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, a U.S. Naturalization Certificate, a passport of your U.S. citizen parent(s) in which you are included, an original, long-form birth certificate, if your proof of citizenship is the U.S. passport of a parent in which you are included;
- One passport sized (2x2inch) photograph - see photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;
- Valid, government issued photo I.D. (such as U.S. or foreign passport, drivers licence or military I.D.);
- All foreign passports that you may currently hold, have held, or been included in;
- Your foreign (non U.S.) naturalization certificate: if you have acquired another nationality through naturalization or registration since the issuance of your proof of citizenship;
- If you have changed your name since your proof of citizenship was issued, you will be required to furnish legal documentation to prove this change;
- If you were born in the United States, you must submit any official records from the time you spent there, such as school or medical records;
- For applicants under 16, a birth certificate must also be presented and both parents must attend the appointment with the child. If only one parent can appear, please follow these instructions
DS-11 (Click to be taken to the form)
Please ignore pages 1-2 of instructions with this form as they do not apply outside the United States
You must print each page on a separate sheet.
Please do not mail this form to the United States.
DO NOT sign this form until requested to do so by a Consular Officer.
- The non-refundable application fee for a first U.S passport is $105.00 (for under 16s) or $135.00 (for over 16s). Fee information is available here.
Scheduling the Appointment
If you reside in England or Wales and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Embassy in London, please follow this link for further detailed information.
If you reside in Northern Ireland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast, please follow this link for further detailed information
If you reside in Scotland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh, please follow this link for further detailed information.
Attending the Embassy in London
Electronic devices such as laptops are not allowed within the Embassy grounds. For a list of prohibited items and storage facilities within the vicinity of the Embassy, please click here.
Large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages classed above cabin-size allowance are also not allowed within the Embassy grounds. Please see this PDF file for a list of Left Luggage storage facilities (PDF - 36kb).
Visitors who do not follow these instructions will experience considerable delays at the security check point, which could result in the interview being cancelled.