Passport Services in Person
Renewing a U.S. passport issued before age 16 or more than 15 years ago
When applying to renew a U.S. passport issued before age 16 or more than 15 years ago, you must apply in person through a pre-arranged appointment.
You will need to bring with you:
- Your most recent U.S. passport;
- One U.S. passport sized (2x2 inch) photograph - see photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;
- Government issued photo I.D (such as U.S or foreign passport, driving licence or military I.D). A U.S. passport will meet this requirement if it is not expired;
- If your passport was issued more then 15 years ago, please provide 1-2 photographs per year from when your last passport was issued to present, to show how your appearance has changed (family or informal photos are acceptable);
- If you naturalized as a citizen of a foreign country since your last passport was issued, please provide a photocopy of your foreign naturalization certificate and a statement confirming whether or not it was your intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship when you naturalized as a foreign citizen;
- If you have changed your name since your previous U.S. passport was issued, you will be required to furnish legal documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed) to prove this change;
- Applicants aged 16-17 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must bring government issued photo I.D
DS-11 (Click here to be taken to the form).
Please complete the form on-line, then print and submit to the U.K. Before you begin, see our YouTube video for instructions on completing the form. DO NOT mail this form to the United States and DO NOT sign the form until requested to do so by a Consular Officer;
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult U.S passport is $135.00. You will pay the fee in person to the Cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy. Fee information is available here.
Scheduling the Appointment
If you reside in England or Wales and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Embassy in London, please follow this link for further detailed information.
If you reside in Northern Ireland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast, please follow this link for further information
If you reside in Scotland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh, please follow this link for further detailed information.
Attending the Embassy in London
Electronic devices such as mobile phones, Blackberries, iPods, iPads, notebook computers, PDAs, headsets with electronic components, or anything with a power plug or battery, including children's toys, are not allowed within the Embassy grounds. The Embassy provides no storage facilities for such devices.
Large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages classed above cabin-size allowance are not allowed within the Embassy grounds. More information about prohibited items and nearby storage facilities is available here.
Visitors who do not follow these instructions will experience considerable delays at the security check point, which could result in the interview being cancelled.