U.S. passport photo requirements do differ from British and European photo requirements. Because of the way the photos are digitized, we are unable to accept any photos that do not meet these specifications.
- All photographs must taken within the last 6 months and be 2" by 2" (two inches by two inches), excluding any borders;
- Make sure the photo presents the full head from top of hair to bottom of chin; height of head should measure 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches (25mm to 35mm);
- Eye height must be between 1-1/8 inches to 1-3/8 inches (28mm to 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo;
- Photograph background must be white or off-white;
- Applicant image must be centered and facing forward;
- Photographs must be taken in color (NOT black and white);
- Position subject and lighting so that there are no distracting shadows on the face or background;
- Be taken in normal street attire, without a hat, head covering, or dark glasses unless a signed doctor's statement is submitted verifying the item is used daily for medical purposes.
- In the case of a baby, the eyes are not required to be open.
Your photograph must reflect your current appearance and match the dimensions of the sample. The dimensions are the same for passport application forms DS-11, DS-82, and DS-5504.
If you choose to submit digitized photographs, they must meet the passport photograph requirements or they will be rejected. Some printers will produce an unacceptable photograph in which the dots are seen, or the image is grainy. Acceptable photographs are printed on high-quality photographic paper, have a continuous tone image that is very photo-like, and show the subject clearly in focus.
Provided the photographs meet the specified requirements for American passports as listed above, any photographer may take them. The Embassy cannot recommend any specific photographer, or assume any responsibility for their efficiency, integrity, or reliability. Fees and the service provided are a matter solely between you and photographer selected.
- Check our SlideShare presentation for information about U.S. style photos, then find a photographer in your local area using the lists below!