Eligibility and Application Process
You do not need to attend an appointment at the Embassy and may renew your passport by mail if you meet all of the following requirements:
Your most recent U.S Passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Was issued within the last 15 years;
- Was issued with 10 year validity;and
- Was issued in your current name or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed) to prove this change.
If you do not meet all these requirements, please follow the instructions here.
You are required to furnish the following:
- Your most recent U.S. passport;
- One passport sized (2x2inch) photograph - see photo requirements for information or check out our SlideShare presentation. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected; U.K. size photos will not be accepted;
- Form DS-82 (Click to be taken to the form). Before you begin, see our YouTube video for instructions on completing the form. Complete the form online, print and sign it and follow the instructions below where to mail your application. Please DO NOT mail the form to the United States;
- The non-refundable application fee for a passport renewal by mail is $110.00. Download the credit card payment form, here, as a PDF. Before submitting the form with your application, notify your credit card company, otherwise the payment may be declined.
- Original evidence of your name change, if applicable, such as marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration and court order.
Incomplete, unsigned or incorrect applications will not be accepted and will delay processing.
Submitting the Application
If you reside in England, Wales or Scotland you are required to mail your application to the U.S. Embassy in London, please follow this link for information on submitting your application.
If you reside in Northern Ireland and are applying for passport services at the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast, please follow this link for information on submitting your application.