Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Loss of U.S. Citizenship (i.e. Expatriation)

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire  and/ or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a Consular Officer.  Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

Step One - Become aware of the Loss of Nationality process in London

Become familiar with legal requirements and possible expatriating acts before beginning this process. Make sure you read the Loss of Nationality package before you request your appointment.  You can download the packet here as a PDF (1Mb).  Pay particular attention to your right to request an informal initial appointment to discuss your possible loss of citizenship with a Consular Officer over the phone or in-person prior to your final interview.  For questions related to expatriation tax and possible tax implications, please consult with the Internal Revenue Service.   

Step Two - Schedule an appointment

You should gather the following documents:

  1. U.S. or foreign birth certificate.
  2. U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  3. Bio-pages of your most recent U.S. passport.
  4. Bio-pages of all current foreign passports.
  5. Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States.
  6. Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States.
  7. All marriage certificates and divorce decrees.  
  8. Change of name documents.
  9. Completed form DS-4079 - download the form from the Department of State website here
  10. Completed Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire - download the form here as a PDF
  11. Completed Informal Loss of Citizenship Acknowledgement, which must be signed/dated and sent as a scanned document.  Download the document here as a PDF

When you have all the required documents, and you are ready to request an appointment, you should send scanned copies of them to 

Appointments are scheduled approximately one month in advance, on a first come, first served basis. Please request an appointment only if you are able to attend. 

Step Three - Come to the Embassy for your final appointment

On the day of your appointment, you will meet with a Consular Officer and be given another opportunity to review the Statement of Understanding prior to taking the Oath of Renunciation or signing the DS-4079 questionnaire. You will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 or equivalent in British pounds.  Your completed packet will be returned to the Department of State for review and approval.  If approved, the date of expatriation will be determined based on individual circumstances.  In straightforward renunciation cases the Certificate of Loss of Nationality will be the date the Oath of Renunciation was administered.  It is important to note that this process may take several months to complete.

Consular Fees to Change

  • The Department of State has published an interim final rule (IFR) changing consular fees. The structure of the passport book fee will change effective September 26, 2015; this change will not impact the total fee paid by passport customers. Please click here for further information 

Loss of U.S. Citizenship (i.e. Expatriation)

  • U.S. citizens who wish to request a Certificate of Loss of Nationality or have any questions concerning this should contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over their place of residence.  

    U.S. citizens resident in England or Wales should e-mail the Embassy at for further information. 

    U.S. citizens resident in Scotland should email the Consulate General in Edinburgh at  for further information.

    U.S. citizens resident in Northern Ireland, should email the Consulate General in Belfast at