Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Children Born in the UK to U.S. Parents

Applying for a CRBA

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is official evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we strongly recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. 

                Do you qualify to pass on U.S. Citizenship to your child?

Upon review of the information provided in the above link, if you believe that your child has a claim to U.S. Citizenship, you should prepare the appropriate documentation and schedule an appointment for the child to appear in person with both parents to submit the application.

As a CRBA is not a travel document, it is strongly recommended that you submit an application for the child's U.S. passport and social security number at the same time.  All three applications may be submitted together at your scheduled appointment.  Even if your child holds another nationality, he or she must enter and exit the United States on a U.S. passport. 

The steps required to apply for a CRBA are as follows:

Steps to Apply for a CRBA

  • CRBA Forms

    CRBA Forms

    • Parents will need to complete the following forms.  After completion, the forms must be printed. We recommend that they are completed on a desktop computer, with a printer.  DO NOT sign the forms. 

      Completed Application for Consular Report of Birth - Form DS 2029

      Completed Application for a Passport - Form DS 11

      Completed Application for a Social Security Number - Form SS 5, . Please note that the Embassy in London can only accept this form if the applicant is under the age of 5 and is also applying for a full validity passport. 

      If applying in Belfast or Edinburgh, the SS-5 can be submitted with a CRBA application up to the age of 18 provided that the applicant is also applying for a full validity (5 or 10 year) passport.


  • Required Supporting Documents

    Required Supporting Documents

    • Please click here for a list of the required documents. Failure to present all the relevent documents will severely delay your application. 
  • If Only One Parent Can Attend

    If Only One Parent Can Attend

    • We advise that both parents should be present at the appointment.  However, we recognize that it may not be possible in all cases. 

      If one custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here as a PDF
      At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must also be provided.

      Alternatively, the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:

      - Child's birth certificate listing only applying parent;

      - Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);

      - Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child's travel must not be restricted by that order;

      - Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or death certificate of non-applying parent

      If the parents were not married at the time of the child's birth and the U.S. Citizen father is not able to attend the appointment, Form DS-5507 Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support is required.  The form can be downloaded here as a PDF. The form must be completed, signed and notarized, and should be presented along with a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form. 


  • Scheduling the Appointment

    Scheduling the Appointment

    • Please do not schedule an appointment until you have reviewed the Checklist for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and have completed the required application forms and obtained the relevant supporting documentation.  Please note that you are required to schedule separate appointments for each child to be registered.

      Please make sure you print your appointment confirmation to show to security. The appointment time is when you should plan to arrive at the Embassy.  There are several steps to the application process and therefore applicants should plan to spend at least 1-2 hours at the Embassy.

      To schedule an appointment please select the relevant location based on where you reside, from the list below:



Applying for a Report of Birth

  • Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad If your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, you will need to come to the Embassy to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This video will help you prepare for your appointment.  Click here to play the video.

Attending the Embassy in London

  • Prohibited items icon

    Electronic devices such as laptops are not allowed within the Embassy grounds.  For a list of prohibited items and storage facilities within the vicinity of the Embassy, please click here.  

    Large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages classed above cabin-size allowance are also not allowed within the Embassy grounds. Please see this PDF file for a list of Left Luggage storage facilities (PDF - 36kb).

    Visitors who do not follow these instructions will experience considerable delays at the security check point, which could result in the interview being cancelled.

What can I bring into the Embassy?