The issuance of a second passport is not automatic and should be considered an exception to the regulations. An application is approved on an individual basis and only when justified.
Second passports may be issued for a validity of up to two years if:
- A passport is needed both for confirmed travel and submission for foreign visa applications simultaneously;
- The primary passport is held by the U.K. government or foreign embassy and the applicant has confirmed travel; and/or
- The applicant has confirmed travel plans to a foreign country which will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings or visas showing travel to certain other countries.
- Your current primary full validity passport and/or your previous second passport (if applicable);
- One U.S. passport sized (2x2inch) photograph - see photo requirements for information or check our SlideShare presentation. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;U.K. size photographs are not accepted;
- A completed "Statement in Support of Application for a Second Passport" (Click to download);
- Form DS-82 (Click to be taken to the form). Before you begin, see our YouTube video for instructions on completing the form. DO NOT mail this form to the United States.
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult U.S passport is $110.00. Fee information is available here.
Submitting your application
If you meet the above requirements you must submit your application by mail
If you reside in England, Wales or Scotland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Embassy in London, please follow this link for further detailed information.
If you reside in Northern Ireland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast, please follow this link for further information
If you reside in England or Wales you must apply for the passport at the U.S. Embassy in London, please follow this link for further detailed information.
If you reside in Northern Ireland you must apply for the passport at the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast, please follow this link for further information
If you reside in Scotland you must apply for the passport at the U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh, please follow this link for further detailed information.
Attending the Embassy in London
Electronic devices such as laptops are not allowed within the Embassy grounds. For a list of prohibited items and storage facilities within the vicinity of the Embassy, please click here.
Large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages classed above cabin-size allowance are also not allowed within the Embassy grounds. Please see this PDF file for a list of Left Luggage storage facilities (PDF - 36kb).
Visitors who do not follow these instructions will experience considerable delays at the security check point, which could result in the interview being cancelled.