Second U.S. Passport
The issuance of a second valid passport should be considered an exception to the regulations, and is to be approved on an individual basis only where justified. These second passports are issued for a validity of two years, provided a justification for issuance exists.
The Department of State will consider issuance of a second fee passport when:
- An individual travels so frequently that their passport is needed both for travel and submission for foreign visa applications simultaneously and/or
- A foreign country will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings or visas showing travel to certain other countries.
When applying for a second U.S. passport, you must apply in person through a pre-arranged appointment. You will need to bring the following:
- Your valid 10 year U.S. passport, which will be returned to you on the day of your appointment;
- Your previous 2 year second passport, if applicable;
- One U.S. passport sized (2x2inch) photograph - see photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;
- A completed "Statement in Support of Application for a Second Passport" (Click to download)
- A written statement from your employer on company letterhead justifying the need for a second passport and stating the bearer’s understanding that any loss or theft of either passport will be reported immediately to the nearest Consulate, Embassy, or passport agency;
- Supporting evidence to show a need for a second passport. Examples of this may include proof of confirmed travel arrangements that cannot be completed with the use of your primary passport;
- Form DS-82 (Click to be taken to the form). You are required to complete the form on-line and submit in the U.K.
Before you begin, see our YouTube video for instructions on completing the form. Do not mail this form to the United States.
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult U.S passport is $110.00. Fee information is available here.
Scheduling the Appointment
If you reside in England or Wales and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Embassy in London, please follow this link for further detailed information.
If you reside in Northern Ireland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast, please follow this link for further information
If you reside in Scotland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh, please follow this link for further detailed information.
Attending the Embassy in London
PLEASE DO NOT bring electronic devices such as mobile phones, Blackberries, iPods, iPads, notebook computers, PDAs, headsets, remote-entry automobile key "fobs", e-readers or anything with a power plug or battery as such items are not allowed within the Embassy grounds. The Embassy provides no storage facilities for such devices.
Large bags are not permitted inside the Embassy. More information about prohibited items and nearby storage facilities is available here.
Visitors who do not follow these instructions will experience considerable delays at the security check point, which could result in the interview being cancelled.