Passport Renewal for Children Under 16
Passport Renewal for a Child Under 16
When applying to renew a U.S. passport for a child under 16 you must apply in person through a pre-arranged appointment. It is essential that the child appear in person.
You will need to bring the following:
- Your child’s most recent U.S. passport;
- One U.S. passport sized (2x2inch) photograph - see photo requirements for information or check our SlideShare presentation. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;
- If the child was under 5 at the time their last passport was issued, present 1-2 photographs per year from when that passport was issued to present, to show how their appearance has changed (family or informal photographs are acceptable);
- Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Report of Birth Abroad, showing the parent’s name(s);
- Government issued photo I.D of parents (such as U.S or foreign passport, driving licence or military I.D);
- The presence of the child and both parents is normally required. If one parent is unable to attend, please click here for additional information.
DS-11 (Click here to be taken to the form).
Please complete the form online, then print and submit to the UK. Before you begin, see our YouTube video for instructions on completing the form. DO NOT mail this form to the United States and DO NOT sign the form until requested to do so by a Consular Officer
- The non-refundable application fee for a U.S passport under 16 is $105.00. You will pay the fee in person to the Cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy. Fee information is available here.
Scheduling the Appointment
If you reside in England or Wales and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Embassy in London, please follow this link for further detailed information.
If you reside in Northern Ireland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast, please follow this link for further detailed information
If you reside in Scotland and will be applying for a passport service at the U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh, please follow this link for further detailed information.
Attending the Embassy in London
Electronic devices such as laptops are not allowed within the Embassy grounds. For a list of prohibited items and storage facilities within the vicinity of the Embassy, please click here.
Large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages classed above cabin-size allowance are also not allowed within the Embassy grounds. Please see this PDF file for a list of Left Luggage storage facilities (PDF - 36kb).
Visitors who do not follow these instructions will experience considerable delays at the security check point, which could result in the interview being cancelled.