Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizenship

If you are born in the United States are you automaticaly a U.S. citizen?

Most people born in the United States are U.S. citizens.  The only exception being children of foreign diplomats who have full diplomatic immunity. Anyone else can apply for a U.S. passport by presenting an original birth certificate showing birth in the United States and adequate identity documents.

Can I hold more than one passport or nationality?

Yes. Naturalization in a foreign country, employment with a foreign government, and/or voting in a foreign election does not automatically jeopardize U.S. citizenship. However, please note that all U.S. citizens, even dual nationals, must enter and depart the United States on U.S. passports.

I am a U.S. citizen, but also have a foreign passport. Can I travel to the United States on the foreign passport? 

No. U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on valid U.S. passports, even if they hold a passport from another country. If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, or if it has expired, you must apply to replace it before traveling to the United States.

My mother/father was a U.S. citizen, but I was born outside the U.S. Do I have claim to citizenship?

You may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. Read more ...

If I cannot transmit citizenship to my child, is there any way that s/he may become a U.S. citizen?

Yes, there is.   Read more…

How can I obtain a U.S. passport for my adopted child? 

Adoption by a U.S. citizen parent does not automatically confer citizenship, but it does qualify a child for expeditious naturalization, or citizenship upon entry into the United States. Read more … .

My child has both British and U.S. citizenship. At what age must s/he choose which citizenship s/he wants to keep?

U.S. citizenship is for life. No child has to do anything at any age to retain, choose, affirm, or confirm American citizenship. 

Can my spouse obtain a U.S. passport or citizenship through marriage?

A U.S. citizen cannot transmit citizenship to a spouse. If your spouse wishes to reside indefinitely in the United States s/he will require an immigrant visa and reside in the United States as a lawful permanent resident (LPR). An application for naturalization can be made to the Department of Homeland Security on fulfilling a residency requirement. Once naturalized, your spouse would be eligible to apply for a U.S. passport.

I lost my citizenship long ago and wish to become a U.S. citizen again.

As each case is different, we recommend that you email for further information and assistance.