Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Travel Agents

Welcome to the website of the U.S. Embassy London.  We hope that the information you find here will be of use to you and your clients traveling to the United States.  We aim to update these pages on a regular  basis, so please visit often.  

The Nonimmigrant Visa Unit recommends that travelers plan well in advance of their travel.  Travelers requiring visas are, therefore, advised to apply early to avoid disappointment.  This means planning now.  Travelers should check their eligibility to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and if qualified, should register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).  If a registration is denied, they will be required to apply for visas.

Downloadable PDFs

Click on the relevant links for downloadable forms about visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program and applying for a nonimmigrant visa.  In addition, you can download and print (on A2 paper) our VWP chart.  

Hot off the Press!

  • Appointment Calander

    The appointment calander is open through until the end of July 2013. 

Appointment Wait Times Week of June 3rd

  • Business (B-1) & Tourist (B-2) Visas: 23 days
  • Work Visas (H & L): 18 days
  • Work Visas (O, P & I): 6 days
  • Student & Exhange Visitor Visas (F & J): 26 days

Please note that appointment availability cannot be guaranteed.  For up-to-date information, call the Operator Assisted Information Service.

The Next Webchat

Do you have a question about U.S. Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas? Are you planning to travel to the U.S. this year?  Not sure if you need a visa?  Are you confused by our new application process?  Then join us on Thursday, August 15th to ask a Consular Officer and let us help you prepare!

Please join our webchat on Thursday, August 15th 12 - 1pm GMT to learn more about U.S. Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas!


If you would like to post your questions ahead of time, please do so on our blog, or on our twitter feed using the hashtag #webchat.  We will answer all questions at the time of the web chat.

Question of the Week!

  • Am I required to obtain travel authorization under ESTA if I am entering the United States by land from Canada or Mexico?

    No! Travel authorization is required only if you are entering the United States aboard an air or sea carrier.  If you will be entering the United States by land, you will not be required to register.  You will, however, be required to check your eligibility to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and, if qualified, complete the arrival/departure record card, form I-94W given to you by U.S. immigration at the border crossing.  In addition, you will be required to pay a fee of $6.00, payable in U.S. dollars only. 

    For answers to the following questions and a whole lot more, click on this link:

    Is my visa still valid for travel for travel?

    I have a conviction from years ago; do I need a visa?

    How long can I stay in the United States?

    What areas are U.S. territories?

    I have a valid visa, do I register under ESTA?

Visa Waiver Wizard

Electronic System for Travel Authorization

  • The ESTA program Travelers entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program by air or sea carrier are required to register under ESTA at  

    A fee of $14.00 is charged for travel authorization.  Be aware of websites charging additional fees.  They are NOT operating on behalf of the U.S. government.

Travel Information

  • U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) info Information for international travelers, including wait times at Ports of Entry, entry requirements and customs, is available from the US Customs and Border Protection website at

  • VisitUSA link Visit USA is an extensive resource for tourists and includes detailed information on the 50 states. 
  • Tourist information

    Tourist information is also available from including how to arrange a tour of the White House.  

Follow US

  Watch us on  youtube   Follow us  on twitter   Check out our blogs