Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Nonimmigrant Visas

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

International travelers who are seeking to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are required obtain travel authorization under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before boarding an air or sea carrier to the United States.   Travelers entering by land either from Canada or Mexico are not required to register before traveling.

Travel authorization is obtained through an online registration system.  If your registration is successful, it will be valid for multiple applications for two years or until the date on which your passport expires, which ever comes first.

Before going on line to register, you should ensure that you are qualified to travel under the VWP otherwise your registration will be rejected.  Please note:  Authorization to travel under ESTA does not guarantee entry into the United States; that decision rests with the immigration official at the Port of Entry in the same way that travelers currently entering the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program or with a visa are subject to inspection.

Warning:  If your passport has ever been reported lost or stolen to the authorities and then recovered, please do not attempt to use it for travel to the United States. If you input the passport details into ESTA, your application will be denied.

Entering the United States by land

Travelers who make their initial entry into the U.S. by land from either Canada or Mexico are NOT required to obtain travel authorization through ESTA before traveling.

Submitting an ESTA Registration