Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Filing I-407

Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)

Updated June 2014
Filing the I407 form

In order to abandon your permanent resident status in the U.S. and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card or "green card", please download Form I-407 Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence and complete the yellow-highlighted sections. This document is in a PDF format that will allow you to enter information prior to printing.

Supporting Documentation

Please return the following items to the address below:

  • Completed I-407
    • Note 1: Item 6(a) - Be sure to state your reasons for abandoning your permanent resident status;
    • Note 2: Item 6(d) - Do not write anything in this block.
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
    • Note 3: If you don't have your permanent resident card (lost/stolen/misplaced), please explain in 6(b).
  • Your Permit to Re-Enter (I-327) (only if applicable)
  • G-28 - Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (only if applicable)
  • A stamped, self-addressed envelope ( Note: If more than one application is submitted from one family, you only need to provide one envelope)

DO NOT SUBMIT United States Social Security cards to this office. Contact the U.S. Embassy Federal Benefits Unit for information on the return of social security cards.

There are two options for submitting Form I-407 to this office.

1.   Make an appointment using the I-407 Appointment Instructions to have Form I-407 processed in person.  Appointments are available on most Wednesday afternoons at 2:00 pm.

2.    Post/mail Form I-407 to the following mailing address.  Our processing time by post/mail is normally 5-7 business days.

Mailing Address

Embassy of the United States of America (DHS / USCIS)
24 Grosvenor Square
London W1K 6AH

Additional Information


  • When the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office receives your completed Form I-407 and permanent resident card/reentry permit (if applicable), the appropriate stamps will be placed on the form and a USCIS officer will sign the form. 
  • A copy of the form will be returned to you in the stamped, self-addressed envelope you provided.
  • This is your record to show that you have formally abandoned your permanent resident status.
  • It is strongly recommended that you make a secured electronic copy of the I-407 returned to you for your records.
  • When you travel to the United States, you will need to take a copy of the processed I-407 with you to the airport.  Although the port of entry inspector will see electronically that you have abandoned your status, the processed I-407 is mainly for the airlines.   If you do not have a copy of the processed I-407 and your passport shows that you have previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card); the airlines may not allow you to board the aircraft. 
  • Please also note that once you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status, you may apply online for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) at (if eligible).
  • Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States in the future. However, you will have to follow a new USCIS petition and visa application process.