Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)
Updated 08 May 2015
If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card"), please download the Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (USCIS Form I-407) and applicable instructions.
- Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407) (2-page PDF, Expires 02/28/2017)
- Instructions for Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (PDF, 3 pages)
Special Notice for parents submitting the I-407 on behalf of children under the age of 18: Before an I-407 can be accepted by USCIS on behalf of any child under the age of 18, both parents MUST sign and date Items 13.a, 13.b AND also 14.a; 14.b, and 14.c (refer to page 2 of the instructions for Items 13 and 14).
Please return the following items with your completed and signed I-407:
- Lawful Permanent Resident Card (the "Green Card", Form I-551)
- Permit to Re-Enter (Form I-327) (only if applicable)
- Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (Form G-28) (only if applicable)
- A stamped, self-addressed envelope
(Note: If more than one application is submitted from one family, you only need to provide one envelope)
• I-407’s being mailed from Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, or Sweden should not include postage on the self-addressed envelope)
• If more than one application is submitted from one family, you only need to provide one envelope).
DO NOT SUBMIT United States Social Security cards to this office.
Contact the U.S. Embassy Federal Benefits Unit for information on the return of social security cards.
Submitting Your Form I-407
You can submit your Form I-407 with supporting documentation either by post/mail OR if you wish, you can make an appointment to file the I-407 in person.
USCIS Field Office – London
Embassy of the United States of America
24 Grosvenor Square
London W1K 6AH
In Person by Appointment
You can make an appointment in person. We offer appointments on most Wednesdays at 1:00 pm. The appointment normally takes five minutes and you will receive a copy of your processed I-407 at the time of your appointment.
If you wish to submit your I-407 in person to formally abandon your permanent resident status, please follow our instructions (PDF, 1 page).
- Once USCIS Field Office London receives your completed Form I-407 applicable supporting documentation, a copy of this form will be returned to you in the stamped, self-address envelope you provide.
- This is your record to show that you have formally abandoned your permanent resident status.
- It is strongly recommended that you make an electronic copy of the I-407 we return to you (e.g. as a PDF on your computer) so that in the event you lose the paper copy of the I-407; you can always print a new copy.
- Whenever you travel to the United States, you will need to make sure you take a copy of the processed I-407 with you to the airport. If you show up at the airport without the processed I-407 and your passport shows that you had previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card); the airlines will most likely not permit you to board the aircraft.
- Please also note that once you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status, you will need to apply online for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov (if eligible).
Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.
Before attempting to register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (What is ESTA?), please first check your eligibility to travel under the Visa Waiver Program.
The ESTA website is at:
There are MANY fraudulent sites - the .gov site is the ONLY valid site! There is a small fee charged to Visa Waiver Program travellers.