Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)
Updated 25 March 2015
If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card"), please download the Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (USCIS Form I-407) and applicable instructions.
- Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407) (2-page PDF, Expires 02/28/2017)
- Instructions for Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (PDF, 3 pages)
Please return the following items with your completed and signed I-407:
- Lawful Permanent Resident Card (the "Green Card", Form I-551)
- Permit to Re-Enter (Form I-327) (only if applicable)
- Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (Form G-28) (only if applicable)
- A stamped, self-addressed envelope
(Note: If more than one application is submitted from one family, you only need to provide one envelope)
• I-407’s being mailed from Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, or Sweden should not include postage on the self-addressed envelope)
• If more than one application is submitted from one family, you only need to provide one envelope).
DO NOT SUBMIT United States Social Security cards to this office.
Contact the U.S. Embassy Federal Benefits Unit for information on the return of social security cards.
Post/Mail your Form I-407 and Supporting Documentation
USCIS Field Office - London
Embassy of the United States of America
24 Grosvenor Square
London W1K 6AH
- Once USCIS Field Office London receives your completed Form I-407 applicable supporting documentation, a copy of this form will be returned to you in the stamped, self-address envelope you provide.
- This is your record to show that you have formally abandoned your permanent resident status.
- It is strongly recommended that you make an electronic copy of the I-407 we return to you (e.g. as a PDF on your computer) so that in the event you lose the paper copy of the I-407; you can always print a new copy.
- Whenever you travel to the United States, you will need to make sure you take a copy of the processed I-407 with you to the airport. If you show up at the airport without the processed I-407 and your passport shows that you had previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card); the airlines will most likely not permit you to board the aircraft.
- Please also note that once you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status, you will need to apply online for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov (if eligible).
Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.
Before attempting to register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (What is ESTA?), please first check your eligibility to travel under the Visa Waiver Program.
The ESTA website is at:
There are MANY fraudulent sites - the .gov site is the ONLY valid site! There is a small fee charged to Visa Waiver Program travellers.