Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)
If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card or "Green Card", please download the I-407 Form and complete only those items that are highlighted in yellow.
You will need to complete the yellow-highlighted sections in form I-407 [PDF - 624Kb], "Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence". Please note that this is a Form-Fill PDF format that allows you to type in the information prior to printing.
Please return the following items to the address below:
- Completed I-407
- Note 1: Item 6(a) - Be sure to state your reasons for abandoning your permanent resident status;
- Note 2: Item 6(d) - Do not write anything in this block.
- Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
- Note 3: If you don't have your permanent resident card (lost/stolen/misplaced), please explain in 6(b).
- Your Permit to Re-Enter (I-327) (only if applicable)
- G-28 - Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (only if applicable)
- A stamped, self-addressed envelope ( Note: If more than one application is submitted from one family, you only need to provide one envelope)
DO NOT SUBMIT United States Social Security cards to this office. Contact the U.S. Embassy Federal Benefits Unit for information on the return of social security cards.
Embassy of the United States of America (DHS / USCIS)
24 Grosvenor Square
London W1K 6AH
- Once the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office receives your completed Form I-407 and permanent resident card/reentry permit (if applicable), the appropriate stamps will be placed on the form along with the USCIS officer's signature to show that you have formally abandoned your status.
- A copy of this form will be returned to you in the stamped, self-address envelope you provide.
- This is your record to show that you have formally abandoned your permanent resident status.
- It is strongly recommended that you make an electronic copy of the I-407 we return to you (for example as a PDF on your computer) so that in the event you lose the paper copy of the I-407; you can always print a new copy.
- Whenever you travel to the United States, you will need to make sure you take a copy of the processed I-407 with you to the airport. Although the port of entry inspector will see electronically that you have abandoned your status, the processed I-407 is mainly for the airlines. If you show up at the airport without the processed I-407 and your passport shows that you have previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card); the airlines will not allow you to board the aircraft.
- Please also note that once you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status, you will need to apply online for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov (if eligible).
Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.
Before attempting to register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (What is ESTA?), please first check your eligibility to travel under the Visa Waiver Program.
The ESTA website is at:
There are MANY fraudulent sites - the .gov site is the ONLY valid site! There is a small fee charged to Visa Waiver Program travellers.