DS-160 Visa Form
Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application
Nonimmigrant visa applicants applying for visas at the U.S. Embassy in London are required to complete the online nonimmigrant electronic visa application form DS-160; we no longer accept the forms DS-156, DS-157 and DS-158.
The DS-160 is a fully integrated online application form that is used to collect the necessary application information from persons seeking a nonimmigrant visa. The DS-160 is submitted electronically to the post where the applicant will apply for the visa via the Internet. Consular Officers will use the information entered on the DS-160 to process the visa application and, combined with a personal interview, will determine an applicant’s eligibility for a nonimmigrant visa.
The DS-160 form may be accessed at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
Before accessing the form, please note the following points:
- The site does experience intermittent connectivity issues. As you complete the form, save a copy onto your hard drive and ‘save’ often;
- Review the Department of State photo specifications before uploading the photograph. If your photo does not comply, it will be rejected;
- Select the correct location at which you will apply for the visa. If applying at the Embassy, please select London, England;
- Provide accurate and complete information in answer to the questions. You will be given an opportunity to review the information before submitting the form. If you submit a DS-160 that is inaccurate or incomplete, your application will be rejected;
- Select the correct visa category under "Purpose of Travel to the United States" in the "Travel Information Section" - the drop down list will appear in answer to the question" Are you the Principal Applicant". If you do not see your visa category, click on “Other” for further information.
- If asked the question “Have you attended any educational institutions other than an elementary school”, you should list all educational institutions you have attended since the age of 11.
Note: If DS-160 does not provide complete and accurate information, we will not be able to process the application. You will be required to complete a new DS-160 and reschedule the appointment.
A full list of nonimmigrant visa types may be found here.
Reminder: Completing the DS-160 is just one step in the visa application process. For information on applying for the visa, please click on "How to Apply"on the left-hand navigation bar.
Having trouble? Questions?
Follow these links for a list of FAQs including video shorts on the most common questions:
Notice 22 C.F.R.6 41.103 requires an applicant to sign and submit his or her own Nonimmigrant Visa Application unless otherwise exempt. Although the applicant may receive assistance from a third party in preparing the application, the applicant is required to click the “Sign Application” button at the end of the application. The applicant's failure to sign the application may result in a termination of the application.
Watch on YouTube: A New Way to Apply for Your Visa: The DS-160 visa form
FAQs - DS-160
Please follow this link for a list of Frequently Asked Questions concerning the DS-160