The U.S.-UK Extradition Treaty
The U.S./UK extradition treaty has governed our bilateral extradition relationship since 2007.
The Treaty modernized the extradition relationship between the U.S. and UK and strengthened each country’s ability to extradite serious offenders wanted for a wide variety of crimes – including terrorism, other violent crimes, organized crime, and white-collar crime.
16 April 2013 U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: British man extradited to face child exploitation charges after HSI probe Richard Castle, 46, a resident of the United Kingdom, has been extradited to the United States to face charges of coercion of a minor, travelling with intent to engage in illicit sexual contact with a minor and transferring obscene material to minors. The charges are related to a trip he allegedly made to Ohio from his home in order to have sexual relations with a juvenile in June 2011.
01 November 2012 U.S. DoJ Press Release re British Businessman Christopher Tappin In federal court in El Paso this morning, 66-year-old British businessman Christopher Tappin of Orpington, Kent, reversed his not-guilty plea and admitted to attempting to export to Iran a special component of the Hawk Air Defense Missile announced United States Attorney Robert Pitman and Acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Special Agent in Charge Dennis Ulrich, El Paso Division.
05 October 2012 Statement by the U.S. Embassy on the Extradition of Five Terrorism Suspects to the U.S. for Trial The United States is pleased that the UK judicial authorities approved the extraditions of Abu Hamza al-Masri, Adel Abdul Bary, Khalid al-Fawwaz, Babar Ahmad, and Syed Talha Ahsan to the United States to face prosecution in U.S. courts on terrorism charges. These individuals are being transferred to the United States.
• Fact Sheet: On extradition of 5 terrorism suspects to U.S.: Procedures, Legal rights and Sentencing
• Fact Sheet: The Five Terrorism Defendants Extradited to the U.S. for Trial in New York and Connecticut
- Ambassador Susman's statement to the Parliamentary Foreign Affairs Select Committee regarding the U.S.-UK Extradition Treaty
- Fact Sheet on the U.S.-UK Extradition Treaty
- Frequently Asked Questions on the U.S.-UK Extradition Relationship
- Report of the UK’s Independent Review Panel on Extradition (Homeoffice.gov.uk)
- U.S. - U.K. Relations