Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

The following is a list of the most Frequently Asked Questions we receive.  If you cannot find the answer to your question, click on the FAQ Nonimmigrant Visa or Immigrant Visa tabs on the left-hand side of the page.   

How does my spouse apply for an immigrant visa?

Information on applying for an immigrant visa is available here.   

I have applied for a visa but my application still hasn’t been processed.

If your application is subject to additional administrative processing and you were given a form letter “NIV 221g - Administrative Processing “ at your interview, you can check the status of your application on-line here.

If at the time of the interview you were advised that an application for a waiver of ineligibility is being processed in your name, you can expect to wait 6 months from the date of the interview before being contacted by the Nonimmigrant Visa Unit. You will not be able to check you application on-line. 

Does my British passport need to be valid for six months when I travel to the United States?

The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

I wish to travel to the United States to visit/work

Visa requirements for travel to the United States are available from our website.

I have a question concerning travel under ESTA, including passport requirements

If you have a question concerning registering under ESTA, you should visit the official U.S. government website at
A list of frequently asked questions can be found here.

I am a green card holder and I wish to return to the United States.

A lawful permanent resident may apply for admission to the U.S. using his/her Permanent Resident Card, provided he/she has remained outside the United States less than one year and has maintained an unreliquished domicile in the United States. More information can be obtained from Customs and Border Protection.


Internet Scams & Fraud

  • Diversity Lottery Fraud - Be Aware of Scams