Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Family Based

Family Based Visas

Who is eligible?

Unmarried son/daughter (aged 21 or over) of a U.S. citizen; married son/daughter of a U.S citizen; brother/sister of a U.S. citizen; spouse and unmarried son or daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR).

How to apply

The first step in applying for an immigrant visa is for the U.S. citizen or LPR (petitioner) to file a immigrant visa petition, Form I-130, with the office of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).   U.S. citizens resident in the United Kingdom may be eligible to file the petition, Form I-130, with the USCIS office at the Embassy or through the USCIS Chicago Lockbox in the United States; U.S. citizens resident in the United States should contact their local USCIS office for further information.

What happens to the approved petition?

The approved petition, regardless of where it is filed, is forwarded to the National Visa Center in New Hampshire which will process the immigrant visa application.

Applying for the Visa

IMBRA - Rights & Protections Pamphlet

  • Thread If you are a spouse or fiance(e) of a U.S. Citizen, or spouse of a Lawful Permanent Residents, please read the Rights and Protections pamphlet before your visa interview to learn about your rights in the United States relating to domestic violence, sexual assault,and child abuse and protection available to you. The consular officer will verbally summarize the pamphlet to you during your interview.