Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Immigrant Visas

K-1 Visa - for Fiancé(e)s of U.S. Citizens

Who is eligible?

A fiancé(e) of a United States citizen who will travel to the United States to marry and take up indefinite residence after marriage. To qualify for a fiancé(e) visa, the following criteria must be meet:

  • one party is a U.S. Citizen;
  • both parties are legally free to marry; and
  • the marriage will take place within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the United States on the fiancé(e) visa.

Applying for the visa

The first step in applying for a fiancé(e) visa is for the U.S. Citizen fiancé(e) (the petitioner) to file a petition on Form I-129F with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States.  Note: The petition can only be filed with the USCIS in the U.S.; it cannot be filed with the USCIS office in London.


Children under the age of 21 are eligible to derive status from the fiancé(e) visa petition filed on behalf of their parent; their name(s) should be included in the petition. If the U.S. Citizen is the natural parent of the child, the child may have claim to U.S citizenship and, therefore, may be eligible for a U.S. passport.  Petitioners should check their child's eligibility before applying for an immigrant visa.  Visa fees are non-refundable, regardless of the outcome of the application. 


Applying for the Visa

  • Thread

    The approved petition is forwarded to the Immigrant Visa Unit at this Embassy through the National Visa Center in New Hampshire.  On receipt of the approved petition the Immigrant Visa Unit will begin processing the visa application.

IMBRA - Rights & Protections Pamphlet

  • Thread If you are a spouse or fiance(e) of a U.S. Citizen, or spouse of a Lawful Permanent Residents, please read the Rights and Protections pamphlet before your visa interview to learn about your rights in the United States relating to domestic violence, sexual assault,and child abuse and protection available to you. The consular officer will verbally summarize the pamphlet to you during your interview.