The Medical Examination
All applicants, regardless of age, are required to complete a medical examination performed by an Embassy approved physican prior to their visa interview. We cannot accept medicals performed by any other physician.
If your application is being processed by the Immigrant Visa Unit, your interview will not be scheduled until the medical examination has been received. If your application is being processed by the National Visa Center, while they will schedule your interview, you must schedule the medical examination before you attend the Embassy otherwise your application will be refused pending receipt of the report.
When scheduling the appointment, please note that it takes 5 workdays for the results of the medical examination to be couriered to the Embassy.
On the day of the medical examination, the Embassy panel physician will be required to verify that you have met the vaccination requirement, or that it is medically inappropriate for you to receive them. Please note: If you are applying for a K visa, you will not be required to meet the vaccination requirements at the time of your visa interview. You will, however, be required to meet the requirement at the time you apply for an adjustment of status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States.
At the time you attend the medical examination, you will be required to provide the following:
- Photo identification (e.g. driving licence, passport);
- FOUR (4) photographs which meet Department of State requirements;
- For applicants aged 16 and over, a UK police certificate (known as an ACRO) issued within the last 12 months (the ACRO must be valid on the day of your visa interview);
- Vaccination records, which can be obtained from your regular healthcare provider. If you are unable to obtain your vaccination record, you should consult with the panel physician at the time of your appointment. The vaccination chart is available here, as a PDF (143Kb);
- Completed medical questionaire, which can be downloaded here, as a PDF (345Kb).
Scheduling the Appointment
You may schedule an appointment by telephoning 020 7486
7822 Monday to Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You must quote your
case number (beginning with LND) when making your call. Appointments are scheduled on a first
come, first served basis.
Please do not schedule an appointment unless you have received your appointment letter from the National Visa Center or, if your application is being processed by the IV Unit, you have completed and submitted all of the forms required to process your visa application.
Medical Examination Fees
15 years and over - £245
14 years and under - £115
Additional fees may apply if further tests are required. Fees are payable at the time of the medical examination. The fees are payable in cash or by credit card, Visa and MasterCard only, and debit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Missed appointment/cancellation fees: If you fail to keep your appointment or cancel/change it with less than three clear working days’ notice, you will be liable for a cancellation charge of £95.