Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Nonimmigrant Visas

The following provides visa information for travelers to the United States who wish to visit, work or study for a temporary period. The type of visa required will depend on the purpose of your travel.

Who needs a visa?

Anyone who is not eligible to enter the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), or is not exempt from the visa requirement, or whose registration has been denied under ESTA.  This includes travelers who are in transit through the United States to another country.  Please note: We recommend that travelers who have been arrested and/or convicted of an offense apply for a visa.  The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply for U.S. visa law. 

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

Many travelers seeking to enter the United States for business or tourism (B-1/B-2 visa), or in transit (C-1) for less than 90 days are eligible to travel to the United States visa free under the VWP.   If you have yet to determine your eligibility to travel visa free, use our visa wizard to help you decide.

How to Apply

With limited exceptions, nonimmigrant visa applicants aged 14 to 79 are required to schedule an appointment for an interview with a U.S. consular officer. The Embassy does not accept walk-in applications. If you are under 14 or 80 and over, please click here for more information. You are not required to wait until your U.S. visa expires before applying.

Before begining the application process, you are required to determine which type of visa is appropriate for travel. Please select "Nonimmigrant Visa Categories" from the left hand menu for information. 

Click here for detailed information on the new visa application procedures



Did you return the I-94/W?


  • DHS TRIP website

    DHS TRIP is a single point of contact for individuals who have inquiries or seek resolution regarding difficulties they experienced during their travel screening at transportation hubs--like airports and train stations--or crossing U.S. borders, including:

      • denied or delayed airline boarding
      • denied or delayed entry into and exit
        from the U.S. at a port of entry
        or border checkpoint
      • continuously referred to additional (secondary) screening

    Further information is available from the DHS website at