Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services

Welcome to the American Citizen Services (ACS) Section of the U.S. Embassy London.  We provide information and assistance to U.S. citizens in England and Wales. If you reside in Northern Ireland, please contact the Consulate General in Belfast for assistance.  If you reside in Scotland, please contact the Consulate General in Edinburgh for assistance.   

The ACS section of the Embassy in London consists of the Passport & Citizenship Unit, the Special Consular Services Unit, and the Federal Benefits Unit

If you are looking for forms then please see our forms page

How to Contact Us

How to contact the American Services unit

You can contact us by email, telephone, or mail.    

For the Passport and Citizenship Unit, send us an email by clicking on this link. 

For the Special Consular Services unit, send us an email by clicking on this link, or call [44] (0)20-7499-9000 and follow the prompts.

For the Federal Benefits Unit, send an to email 
or call [44] (0)20-7499-9000 and use extensions 2926 or 2927.

Recorded information is available 24 hours/day, seven days/week, at [44] (0)20-7499-9000.

You also can write to us at:

American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy
24 Grosvenor Square

Visiting Embassy London

photos of prohibited items

Electronic devices such as lap tops are not allowed within the Embassy grounds.  For a list of prohibited items and storage facilities within the vicinity of the Embassy, please click here.  

Large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages classed above cabin-size allowance are also not allowed within the Embassy grounds. Please see this PDF file for a list of Left Luggage storage facilities (PDF - 36kb).

Visitors who do not follow these instructions will experience considerable delays at the security check point, which could result in the appointment being cancelled.

Denied Entry to the UK ?

Advice for Americans who have been denied Entry into the UK

U.S. citizens are generally allowed to travel to the U.K. without a visa if they are coming only for tourism and only for a short time.  However, the decision on admission to the U.K. is made by British authorities (the UK Border Agency – UKBA) in accordance with British law.  Under British law, some common activities may not be considered “tourism.”  Religious volunteers, charity workers, interns, prospective students and others pursuing special programs may need to get a visa before traveling to the U.K.  Read more.

Emergency Contact Information

  • Emergency contact information

Federal Voting Assistance Program

For American Citizens

Internet Scams

  • Beware of Internet scams