Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Customs & Border Protection (CBP)

Transportation Letter Hotline

Updated: 23 June 2014

Lawful Permanent Residents requiring a Transportation Letter for Lost, Stolen or Expired Alien Cards need to complete the online appointment booking form or ring the U.S. Embassy in London on 020-7499-9000 to make an appointment with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Appointments are held at the U.S. Embassy in London on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 Noon (midday) only.

Frequently Asked Questions

Further information on U.S. customs matters may be found at the web site of U.S. Customs and Border Protection which offers information on importing and exporting and a "Know Before You Go" guide for the international traveller.


What is the allowance for alcoholic beverages brought into the United States?

Adults may bring in, free of duty and internal revenue tax, not more than one liter of alcoholic beverages - beer, wine, liquor - for personal use. Quantities above the one-liter limitation are subject to duty and internal revenue tax.

Beer - 15 cents per liter
Still Wine - 34 cents per liter
86 Proof Scotch - $3.06 per liter

Be aware, however, that in addition to federal laws, you must meet state alcoholic beverage laws which may be more restrictive than federal liquor laws. This means that if the state in which you arrive permits less liquor (wine, beer) than you have legally brought into the United States, that state's laws apply to your importation of alcoholic beverages for personal use.


How do I bring my prescription medicine into the United States?


A traveler requiring medicines containing habit-forming drugs or narcotics (e.g. cough medicine, diuretics, heart drugs, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, depressants, stimulants, etc.) should:

  • Have all drugs, medicines, and similar products properly identified;
  • Carry only the quantity that might normally be used by an individual having a health problem requiring such drugs or medicine:
  • Have either a prescription or written statement from your personal physician that the medicine is being used under a doctor's direction and is necessary for your physical well-being while traveling.

Medication can be sent by post if the prescription or doctor's letter is included. A notation should be placed on the outside of the parcel stating, for example, "DOCTOR'S LETTER ATTACHED."


Can I bring my persian carpet into the United States?

NOTICE:  Effective September 29, 2010, the commercial importation into the United States of the following Iranian-origin items is prohibited:

Non-commercial importation of the above referenced items of Iranian origin is also prohibited as of September 29, 2010 unless authorized by OFAC.

Imports of household goods and personal effects are allowed on or after September 29, 2010 provided they are imported in compliance with 31 CFR 560.201 and applicable CBP regulations.

For further information contact:

OFAC’s Compiance, Outreach & Implementation Division
Office of Foreign Assets Control (website)
Washington, D.C. 20220


What are the requirements for bringing my cat or dog into the United States?

To bring a dog or cat from the UK into the US you should have a health certificate from a veterinarian. There is no special form for this certificate. Such a certificate is usually required by the airlines, so you should check with the airlines shipping your pet for any time limitations or other details.

The UK is a rabies-free area so your pet will not be quarantined and will not need a rabies vaccination unless required by the state or local authorities in the place of your final destination. We do not have information on any state and local regulations and laws. It is suggested, therefore, that if you have a contact in the area where you are going, they should call the city or county health department for local requirements.

Can I get a refund of the tax paid on merchandise and services purchased in the United States?

Sales taxes in the United States are assessed and collected by various State and local authorities, not by the Federal Government. According to information available to this office, only the State of Louisiana has any provisions to refund the sales tax to visiting tourists and business travelers. Therefore, unless purchases were made in Louisiana, no sales tax refund is possible.

What kind of food products can I bring to the U.S.?

Food, Plant, and Animal Products
General List of Approved Products

This list covers products from all areas except Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Bamboo - dried poles only
Beads made of seeds - (but not jequirity beans)
Breads, cakes, cookies, and other bakery goods
Candies, confectionery, chocolates
Cheeses - fully cured hard cheese only
Coconuts - (but husks or milk must be removed)
Coffee - roasted beans only
Dried foods - including polished rice, beans, and tea
Flower bulbs (note 1)
Flowers (note 1)
Fruits - canned or dried products only
Herbarium plants - (but not witchweed)
Herbs - dried, for medicinal use
Nuts - (but not chestnuts or acorns or nuts with outer husks)
Sauces - canned or processed
Seeds - (but not avocado, bamboo, barberry, coconuts, corn, cotton, currant, elm, hibiscus, lentil, mahonia, mango, pearl millet, potato, rice, sorghum, and wheat)
Shamrocks - without root or soil
Soup and soup mixes - (but not those containing meat)
Spices - dried (but not curry leaves)
Straw animals, hats, baskets, and other souvenirs - (but not items stuffed with straw)
Vegetables - canned or processed

Remember the three basic rules: No Fresh Vegetables, No Fresh Dairy, and No Meat Products including OXON cubes.

NOTE 1:  Check with the U.S. Department of Agriculture at regarding Plant Protection and Quarantine Permits .   A phytosanitary certificate is required for propagative material.

Can I send personal food products by post?

The Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002, commonly known as the "Bioterrorism Act", or BTA, was enacted on 12 December 2003, requiring that certain information be provided to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) prior to the arrival of a food shipment.

This applies to any manufactured food for either humans or animals but does not apply to homemade or manufactured foods being sent as a personal gift to individual persons in the USA but you should clearly indicate this on the Customs Form if this is the case. If you don't your parcels or packets containing food may be returned to you or even destroyed. This act also doesn't apply to personal importation of food products carried by Air Passengers.

Note that air passengers or postal shipments are still subject to the normal food restrictions as stated above.

Those sending food products commercially will need to go the FDA web site at (Embassy personnel cannot enter this information for you).

Further information on the BTA can be found at

Is there a duty-free allowance for merchandise shipments?

Yes - $200.00 for commercial shipments or for a personal shipment of merchandise sent to oneself such as ordering off a foreign web site addressed to yourself.

What is the duty-free allowance for sending gifts?

Gifts Sent By Mail

Persons in the U.S. may receive, free of duty, a gift mailed from a foreign country or a Caribbean Basin beneficiary country if the shipment does not exceed $100 based upon its retail value, or $200 if sent from the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam. You may send as many gifts as you wish, but the U.S. addressee will be required to pay duty if the gift parcels received in one day total more than $100 (or $200). Gifts that exceed these amounts will be subject to customs duty based on the entire value. There is no $100 (or $200) deduction.

Packages should be marked "Unsolicited Gift", with the name of the donor, nature of the gift, and fair retail value of the package clearly written on the outside wrapper.

Alcoholic beverages, cigars, cigarettes, and perfumes containing alcohol may not be included within this gift privilege.

Gifts intended for more than one person may be consolidated in the same package provided they are individually wrapped and labeled with the name of the recipient.

Be sure that the outer wrapping of the package is marked: 1) unsolicited gift, 2) nature of the gift, and 3) its fair retail value. In addition, a consolidated gift parcel should be marked as such on the outside with the names of the recipients listed and the value of each gift. This will facilitate customer clearance of your package.

Which countries are included in the GSP program in the United States system?

The following countries, territories and associations of countries eligible for treatment as one country (pursuant to section 502(a)(3) of the Trade Act of 1974 (19 U.S.C. 2462(a)(3)) are designated beneficiary developing counties for the purposes of the Generalized System of Preferences, provided for in Title V of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended (19 U.S.C. 2461 et seq.):


Albania Fiji Panama
Angola Gabon Papua New Guinea
Antigua & Barbuda Gambia, The Paraguay
Argentina Georgia Peru
Armenia Ghana Philippines
Bahrain Grenada Poland
Bangladesh Guatemala Romania
Barbados Guinea Russia
Belize Guinea-Bissau Rwanda
Benin Guyana St. Kitts & Nevis
Bhutan Haiti St. Lucia
Bolivia Honduras St. Vincent & the Grenadines
Bosnia & Hercegovina Hungary Samoa
Botswana India Sao Tome & Principe
Brazil Indonesia Senegal
Bulgaria Jamaica Seychelles
Burkina Faso Jordan Sierra Leone
Burundi Kazakhstan Slovakia
Cambodia Kenya Slovenia
Cameroon Kiribati Solomon Islands
Cape Verde Kyrgyzstan Somalia
Central African Republic Latvia South Africa
Chad Lebanon Sri Lanka
Chile Lesotho Suriname
Colomba Lithuania Swaziland
Comoros Macedonia, Former Yugoslav Republic Tanzania
Congo (Brazzaville) Madagascar Thailand
Congo (Kinshasa) Malawi Togo
Costa Rica Mali Tonga
Cote d'Ivoire Malta Trinidad & Tobago
Croatia Mauritania Tunisia
Czech Republic Mauritius Turkey
Djibouti Moldova Tuvalu
Dominica Mongolia Uganda
Dominican Republic Morocco Uruguay
Ecuador Mozambique Uzbekistan
Egypt Namibia Vanuatu
El Salvador Nepal Venezuela
Equatorial Guinea Niger Republic of Yemen
Eritrea Nigeria Zambia
Estonia Oman Zimbabwe
Ethiopia Pakistan


Textile products of which countries require a "textile visa" (export permit)?

Many (but not all) textile products from the following countries are subject to quotas and require a textile visa:


Bahrain Macedonia
Bangladesh Malaysia
Belarus Maldives
Brazil Mauritius
Bulgaria Mexico
Cambodia Myanmar (Burma)
China Nepal
Colombia Oman
Costa Rica Pakistan
Czech Republic Panama
Dominican Republic Peru
El Salvador Philippines
Egypt Pitcairn Islands
Fiji Poland
Guatemala Qatar
Haiti Romania
Hong Kong Russia
Hungary Singapore
India Slovakia
Indonesia Sri Lanka
Jamaica Taiwan
Japan Thailand
Kenya Trinidad & Tobago
Korea Turkey
Kuwait Ukraine
Laos United Arab Emirates
Lebanon Uruguay

Can I bring a car to the United States?

If the car will be in the U.S. for not more that one year, you are exempt from the emission control and safety standards. Just bring your registration documentation.

If more than one year, the car must be in compliance with the U.S. requirements.

Cars are duty-free for immigrants and visitors. Returning U.S. residents pay a duty of 2.5%.

Further information can be obtained at under “Questions/comments”.

Can I bring firearms and ammunition into the U.S.?

An approved ATF Form 6-Part I (5330.3A) is required to import all firearms, ammunition, and implements of war into the United States or any possession. The ATF Form 6 should be submitted approximately 60 days prior to the intended importation.

Fully automatic weapons and semi-automatic "assault" type weapons are prohibited.

For complete information, write:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF)
Firearms and Explosives Import Branch
Washington, D.C. 20226
001-304-616-4550 (For expedited processing)

How much money can I bring into the United States?

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not collect duty on currency. However, travelers leaving or entering the U.S. are required to report negotiable monetary instruments (i.e. currency or endorsed checks) valued at $10,000 or more on a "Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments" form FinCEN 105.

You can obtain the form in advance and download it from here FinCEN 105, or a CBP Officer can give it to you upon your departure or return to the U.S.

Failure to declare currency in amounts of over $10,000 can result in its seizure.

Information on the FinCEN 105 is provided to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and they determine whether or not the importation of monies constitutes income subject to taxation.

The requirement to report currency on a FinCEN 105 does not apply to imports of gold bullion.


What items are prohibited from entry into the United States?

  • Among articles prohibited are absinthe, liquor-filled candy, lottery tickets, narcotics and dangerous drugs, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, hazardous articles (e.g., fireworks, dangerous toys, toxic or poisonous substances), products made by convicts or forced labor, and switchblades (except for use by a one-armed traveler).

  • "Piratical" copies of copyrighted articles-produced without the authorization of the copyright owner-are prohibited from importation into the United States.

  • Foreign-made trademarked articles may be limited as to the quantity which may be brought into the United States if the American owner of the registered trademark has recorded it with U.S. Customs. The types of articles usually of interest to travelers are: 1) lenses, cameras, binoculars, optical goods; 2) tape recorders, musical instruments; 3) jewelry, precious metalware; 4) perfumery; 5) watches, clocks. Persons arriving in the United States with a trademarked article are allowed an exemption, usually one article of a type bearing a protected trademark. The article must be for your personal use and not for sale.

  • Wildlife and fish are subject to certain import and export restrictions, prohibitions, permits or certificates, and quarantine requirements. This includes:
    • wild birds, mammals including marine mammals, reptiles, crustaceans, fish, and mollusks;
    • any part or product, such as skins, feathers, eggs; and
    • products and articles manufactured from wildlife and fish.

    Endangered species of wildlife and products made from them are prohibited from being imported or exported. If you contemplate importing articles made from wildlife, such as tortoise shell jewelry, leather goods, articles made from whalebone, ivory, skins, or furs, please contact, prior to your departure to the United States, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at the following address:

       Department of the Interior
       Washington, D.C. 20240

  • Unsterilized specimens of human and animal tissue (including blood, body discharges and excretions); cultures of living bacteria, viruses or similar organisms; animals suspected of being infected with a disease transmissible to humans; and insects, snails and bats may require an import permit from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please contact the CDC at the following address for further information:

       Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (F-05)
       1600 Clifton Road
       Atlanta, GA 30333

  • Meats, livestock, poultry and their by-products (such as sausage, pate'), are prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending upon the animal disease condition in the country of origin. Please contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture at the following for further information:

       Imports-Exports Products Staff
       APHIS, VS
       Federal Building
       6505 Belcrest Road
       Hyattsville, MD 20782

Further information on U.S. customs matters may be found at the web site of the U.S. Customs Service which offers information on importing and exporting, law enforcement activities, and a "Know Before You Go" guide for the international traveller.


What is the process for bringing ashes in urns? What paperwork is required?

(via  Human remains intended for interment or subsequent cremation after entry into the United States must be accompanied by a death certificate stating the cause of death. If the death certificate is in a language other than English, then it should be accompanied by an English language translation.

CBP Officers will examine the death certificate to determine the cause of death and ensure that the remains are shipped in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requirements. If CDC requirements are not met, CBP will hold the casket and contact the appropriate quarantine station for instructions.

If the remains/bodies are embalmed and the casket is hermetically sealed, the remains may be released under any conditions. Also, if the remains have been cremated they may be admitted into the United States without restriction, regardless of the cause of death.

Additional information on the public health requirements for importation of human remains is available at the CDC Web site.

Corpses, together with their coffins and accompanying flowers are exempt from duty. No formal entry is required. There may be Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) concerns regarding the accompanying flowers. CBP Officers will make a determination of Admissibility of any accompanying flowers on site.

If traveling on a connecting or domestic flight within the United States with cremated remains, the remains MUST be transported in a temporary container that can pass through TSA x-ray machines. This should be a container constructed of wood, plastic, cardboard or any non-lead based ceramic.

Note: The Embassy's Special Consular Services unit has information relating to the death of an American citizen while abroad.


  • Dept. Of Homeland Security

    Phone: 020-7894-0771

     Fax: 020-7894-0702

     Hours of Operation: 8:30am - 4:30pm GMT

    You can also email us at:

    This email address is for Trade or Travellor Enquiries only and NOT for visa enquiries.

    We do NOT answer visa inquires!  For all such information see the Embassy's Visa Inquiries & Consular contact information page.