Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Delays in Visa Processing

Updated 25 June 2015

London has begun printing nonimmigrant and immigrant visas. We are working as quickly as possible to clear the backlog of pending visa cases and hand your passport to the courier company for delivery. The approved courier will send a tracking message once it receives your passport. You should wait for that message. During this time, we cannot provide status updates by email or phone.

 If you have a nonimmigrant visa interview appointment scheduled for June 26 onwards, you should attend but be aware that your application may take longer to process than the advertised 5- 7 workdays. Immigrant visa applicants should also attend their interview but should allow 10 - 15 workdays for their application to be processed. 

IV applicants: We are also aware that some applicants continue to experience technical difficulties accessing Form DS-260. The issues are intermittent, therefore we suggest that you return to periodically to try to complete Form DS-260.

What is a Visa ?

Updated 02 February 2015

A visa is issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. A visa entitles the holder to travel to the United States and apply for admission; it does not guarantee entry.  An immigration inspector at the port of entry determines the visa holder's eligibility for admission into the United States.

Who Needs a Visa?

Anyone who is not eligible to enter the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), or is not exempt from the visa requirement.
Please note
: Travelers born in the United States and those who hold dual citizenship with the United States must enter and depart the United States on U.S. passports.

What types of Visas are Available?

  • NONIMMIGRANT:  A Nonimmigrant visa is required by anyone seeking temporary admission into the United States who is not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program , or is exempt from the visa requirement.  Nonimmigrant visas cover visits for tourism, business, work or study.  
  • IMMIGRANT:  An immigrant visa is required by anyone seeking to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.  Upon entry into the United States, an immigrant visa holder is processed for a Permanent Resident Card (PRC) commonly known as a green card.  

A - Z Subject Listing

  • Can't find what you are looking for?  Click here for an A-Z Subject Listing on the Department of State's website. 

Travel & Tourism in the U.S.

  • Tourism Badge

Safety and Security of U.S. Borders